Tuesday, January 1, 2013

hark!



 When we were young, Oh Oh we did enough
When it got cold Oo Oo we bundled up
I can't be told Ah Ah it can't be done
stubborn love



There's a certain kind of music I love this time of year..wintry?  Like what I would listen to if I was holed up in a rustic log cabin, bundled up in flannel and wool, fire blazing.
The Lumineers radio is doing it for me right now..Iron and Wine, Mumford and Sons, Death Cab.
Cozy music.



We stayed in a mountain top cabin in the deep Tennessee woods a few years ago with friends. Playing hide and seek(still love it!) visiting flea markets and diners. If you ever want to test your trust in a friend let them drive you down a narrow winding strip of a road in the mountains in winter. At night.
Yeah.


The huge deck overlooked the smokey mountains, breathtaking.
 One of my favorite memories is being out there with Luke, the snow and wind swirling around us. Trees for miles.
A great thing about living in a historic district are the massive old trees, snow covered boughs are one of my favorites.
It's turned into a winter wonderland around here.

red cedar

Tree of Life

I have a soft spot for pine trees, we had a giant one at my house growing up that I loved. The perfect kind of climbing tree, even spaced rungs that I could reach from the ground going all the way up to the sky.
I want to take a drive out there and see if the land looks anything like I remember. They tore down the old farmhouse but those big trees might still stand.
They're resilient.

( Fruit trees and wild mulberries grew on the forest floodplain and crawfish(crawdads) and cattail reeds in the marsh meadow )

Isn't it amazing how you can vividly remember details like sitting in the crook of a giant cigar tree(catalpa speciosa) and the smell of a baby bird..or the perfect blue of that first tiny fallen robin's egg you find. I love that. The human mind is a fascinating thing.

black walnut

There really is something about that fluffy falling snow..everything is illuminated.
The skyline looks like an old daguerreotype. Hazy and grey. It seems so eerie, all you can hear is the sound of the snow.
And Copper. haha


I'm trying to keep my mind off of the horrible cold/flu I've acquired.
The best laid plans..
I swear it never fails that I fall ill on some major holiday.
 Being sick is the worst.
I'll be here on the couch continuing The Twilight Zone marathon.


Happy New Year!


update:

The land where I grew up still looks the same, nature has reclaimed even more. Everyone had to move when the waters rose. I took a virtual tour (can't believe that's a thing.)



(I miss the elegant snowy egrets that would glide gracefully over the shallow waters)


still here

2 comments:

vn said...

I love your writing.
Copper's back!!
get well soon.

Rhubarbarians said...

Lovely! So digging listening to this tune while reading about your life ventures. :)
Trish

www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com