Friday, January 13, 2012

Film Friday

Ball of Fire 1941

Oh how I wish we had nightclubs like this still..golden age thinker here.

I adore Barbara Stanwyck and this screwball comedy showcases her quick wit and sharp tongue. She plays Sugarpuss O'Shea, a nightclub performer who catches the mind of naive linguistics professor Bertram Potts(Gary Cooper) while he's researching slang terms. Bertram is living with a group of adorable out of touch older gents as they all do their part to complete the encyclopedia they've been working on. Sugarpuss hides out there while under a mob murder investigation, everyone falls smitten.





"Yes, I love him. I love those hick shirts he wears with the boiled cuffs and the way he always has his vest buttoned wrong. He looks like a giraffe, and I love him. He's the kind of guy who gets drunk on a glass of buttermilk. I love him because he doesn't know how to kiss..the jerk"

Stunning

I love old fashioned slang and this movie is full of it! I don't know how much of it was really used back then but whatever Sugarpuss slings is believable..Scrim! Scram! Scraw!

Speaking of slang I've noticed myself saying "dag nab" a lot haha my version of dagnabbit I guess. Yes, I'm actually a surly 80 year old man at heart!

   Happy Friday!

3 comments:

charley said...

Great blog, you are SO cute!

http://thecharleygirl.com

xxoo

Maria said...

I should have been born in that time. Oh well, I can dream!

Maria xx
www.cheekypinktulip.blogspot.com

PuppyLovePrincess said...

oh, i LOVE barbara stanwyck!